Is Nespresso CitiZ a Good Espresso Machine to Buy?
The Nespresso CitiZ Automatic Espresso machine will attract you at first sight. This machine has a distinctive retro-modern look that makes it stand out from other machines. But apart from its looks, how does this espresso machine work? If you’re someone who wants a gourmet coffee drink – not just espresso – with a push of a button and without any mess or cleaning required, and most importantly, for a low budget, a Nespresso the the best pick for you!
- Fully automated. Push button operation.
- Very user friendly. Don’t know much about espresso and how to make it? Well, with this machine you don’t have to. You’ll get the perfect shot of espresso, every time, with a push of a button!
- The machine uses pre-measured capsules that you insert into a capsule slot. Press the button and few seconds later, you’ll have a perfect shot of espresso.
- The machine includes two pre-set buttons, Espresso for a single shot and Lungo for a double shot.
- No cleaning is required other than taking the capsule out. It even features a used-capsule container which can hold up to 11 used capsules before you have to dispose them. But you will need to descale it every few months (2 to 3 months).
- The high pressure 19 bar pump ensures great extraction of the espresso with a strong body and nice creamy layer on top.
- An integrated milk frother enables you to froth your milk quickly and easily for making great milk-based coffee drinks, such as Cappuccino and Latte.
- The capsules are available in a great variety of flavors, with different roast and flavors.
- It features a 1 liter removable water tank. A removable drip tray and a cup support which can be adjusted for the two cup sizes (regular cup and espresso/macchiato cup).
- It is available in three different colors: Fire-Engine red, Limousine Black and Silver Chrome. Choose whichever color will compliment your kitchen decor the best!
Any downside to this espresso machine?
The downside is not machine related exactly. Some customers believe the capsules to be a bit pricey (yet, still cheaper than your regular chain lattes). But for an Espresso machine of its features and at an affordable price, and most importantly the convenience it offers, the price of the capsules will be a very small price to pay. And there are solutions to the capsules costs, read on to see how you can save on the cost of Nespresso capsules.
Note that for you to be able to create coffee drinks like cappuccino or latte, you need to bundle this machine with a milk frother. You can choose Nespresso’s Aeroccino frother, or select any other frother. The choice is yours. You can check out our recommended electric milk frothers here. You can also have a look at the best Nespresso bundles available here.
We’ve also done a quick comparison between Nespresso CitiZ and Pixie which should help you decide which Nespresso model is best for you.
How To Save on Nespresso Capsules:
If you find the ongoing cost of buying capsules from Nespresso to be expensive, then here are a few tips to help you save up:
Using a refillable capsules is a bit of a work, but it saves up on the cost of capsules for sure. With a refillable capsule, all you have to do is fill it up with your favorite coffee ground and use it just as you would use a Nespresso capsule. You’ll have to wash the capsule for next use.
If you’re not so keen on the work that a refillable capsule requires, your second option is to use an alternative capsule brand. When Nespresso first came out, they had a patent on their OriginalLine capsule design, but lost this patent eventually. This lead to a lot of alternative brands coming out with compatible capsules for Nespresso (Original Line only – such as CitiZ and Pixie). The best part about these brands is that they’re often very competitive in price and are a lot cheaper than Nespresso’s official capsule. Here are some suggestions:
Gourmesso Nespresso Compatible Capsules:
Gourmesso capsules are up to 35% cheaper than Nespresso’s capsules. They’re available in a wide variety of roasts and flavors. They’re also have organic selection, fairtrade coffee, as well as tea capsules. Check out their entire selection here.
Other recommended brands:
- Espresso and coffee maker combos
- Pump Espresso Machine
- Manual Espresso Machine
- Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- Espresso Pod Machines
- Espresso/Coffee Machines with Built-In Grinder
- Stovetop Espresso Makers
- Single-Serve Coffee Machines
- Coffee Pod Drawers
- Semi-Automatic Espresso Machines
- Dual Boiler Espresso Machines
- Coffee Roasters
The owner of this website, , is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking DoseofCaffeine.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.